Monday, March 23, 2009

Let's go fly a kite...

...up to the highest height.

And that's just what I did! I've successfully accomplished # 84 - Learn How to Fly a Kite from my list. I think I used to try to fly them as kids, but I don't remember having much luck and really only remember dragging one of those cheap-o kites around trying to get the stupid thing in the air. Although, my dad remembers differently but I think he's getting old haha.


The first weekend in March was B-E-A-UTIFUL and I wanted to enjoy it ALL. Ray recently went out and purchased a HUGE kite - like two hands needed to fly big and so he said he'd take me out and teach me to fly it since it was nice and windy! We get out there and the smaller kite he had really didn't want to catch any wind, so we gave up on that and tried with the big one.



That's the big kite - it looks small in this picture, but its longer than I am tall (and I'm 5'2''). Ray had planned on getting it up into the air and then I was going to take over, but he got it up there and it was pulling him ALL over the place.



Now, I also only weight 105 and we were pretty sure that if I lost my balance the kite might have actually picked my tiny ass up off the ground. And while I think flying would be cool, I wasn't up for that haha. So we decided that it was not a good idea for me to fly this kite. I was a little bummed, but Ray had a plan! We packed up and headed to Target to get me my very own kite.


Target had a very slim selection of kites, but I had my choice between Dora, Thomas the Train, and another cartoon that was not really going to make me happy. So I was trying to figure out which was the lesser of the evils when we spotted a kite shaped like a turtle. I grabbed that bad boy and ran! I was really glad that even though I was buying a kite made for children, that it didn't have to scream "kids kite" all over it haha.

I actually did fairly well on my first try. I got it right on up there with some help from the wind :)

You can't really see the kite WAY up there in the sky in this picture but it is there. Its that tiny little spec in the sky because its so far up there :)

I just think this is a cool photo - Steve took this, my awesome photographer :)

I really wish it would warm up already so that I can go outside and fly my turtle around some more! I was thinking about buying a more "grown-up" kite but I think I'll hold off for a while because my awesome $5 kite is doing wonders so far :)
Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment