Thursday, May 5, 2011

Serving Six: Eighteen Months

Eighteen months from today this nightmare will be over.

Eighteen months from today I'll be able to pick up the phone and call my brother. Whenever I want.

Eighteen months from today our calls will not be limited to 20 minutes.

Eighteen months from today going to see him will not include getting a friendly search from a CO or leaving everything I own in the car.

Eighteen months from today I'll be able to take my brother to a restaurant instead of feeding him out of a vending machine.

Eighteen months from today we'll make the drive to pick him up.

Eighteen months from today we'll walk in to that place for the last time.

Eighteen months from today we'll walk out of that place for the last time.

Eighteen months from today we'll walk out of that place as a family. A whole family. For the first time in six years.

Eighteen months from today I'll cry happy tears.

Eighteen months from today I'll have my brother back.

Eighteen months from today my family will be whole again.

Eighteen months from today my brother comes home.

I can't wait. It's only another eighteen months. We've already gotten through 4 years, 5 months. I can make it through another eighteen months. We will make it through these last eighteen months. And then he will be home.

Eighteen months from today.

And I can't wait.

1 comment: