Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mother Daughter weekend

The weekend after my birthday Mom and I took off for Lancaster, PA for a little mother-daughter fun.


Heading out!

We headed up Friday after I got done with work and checked in to the cutest little hotel that was decorated as a little country inn.



After we got settled we headed out to dinner. We enjoyed dinner at a buffet run by the Smucker family. It was packed when we walked in, so we wandered around the shop they had (how convenient huh!?). The buffet wasn't quite as big as we thought it was going to be, but the food choices were pretty traditional Amish (well, traditional to us at least ha!). We weren't overly impressed with the food, but it wasn't too bad. We did kind of wish we had made a different restaurant choice but it was still good.



After dinner, we headed to Downtown Lancaster which is something we've never done before since we usually only go up there to shop at the Amish stores. We were fortunate to be there during First Friday which is pretty big up there. They had all the Christmas decorations up and it looked really pretty. Most of the stores were open late so we wandered in and out of different stores. It was neat to see a part of this town we'd never been to before.



We also stumbled upon the Lancaster visitor/welcome center and that was interesting. They had several exhibits and a set up of an old print shop. It was really neat to see the history of the town.

After that we headed back to the hotel to rest up and get ready for our big shopping adventure on Saturday!

Saturday morning we went to breakfast at the 50's diner located next to the hotel. It was like we had stepped back in to the 50s. The food was really yummy and I'm glad we tried something new and were actually pleased with the results!


After breakfast we hit up the farmers market for bread and chicken salad to bring home to the boys. We wandered the market for a while and just did some mindless shopping. We headed across the street to another fun store and did mostly window shopping. It's like a big thrift store which can be hit or miss, but they're always fun to wander through.



I told Steve that I was coming home with this guy. He was seriously afraid that I was actually bringing it home. If we had a bigger yard I might have actually bought it haha.

After that we headed to another cluster of stores to wander through. We did a nice mix of window shopping and actual shopping. It was a lot of fun to spend so much one-on-one time with my mom.


We checked out a local winery for a free tasting. They had so.many.wines to try and I would have loved to try them all but I felt like perhaps they wouldn't like it for me to try everything they had. I did buy 2 bottles of my favorites. One of them is supposed to be served warm and I can't wait to try it.


After lunch we headed to mom's new favorite store - Boscovs. She'd been talking this place up and when we pulled in I realized it was a department store! haha! I gave her a hard time for taking me to a mall but we found lots of good stuff there! Plus, I got new boots so that's winning in my book!

After all of our shopping we went to one of our favorite family style Amish restaurants! It definitely made up for the dinner our previous night. It was amazing as always and we left way too full but way happy.

We headed home after dinner after a full weekend of food, shopping, laughter, fun, and quality time. It was a great weekend and I'm looking forward to our next trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment