Saturday, October 17, 2009

mmm....food!

I love food. Love, love, love it.

But, I am an extremely picky eater. I generally do not try new things. Even if I think they might taste ok I would rather be safe than sorry that I put some nasty food in my mouth!

With this list I am trying really hard to try new things - from food to experiences. And I am finding out that I do like different things. (go figure!)

#36 - Try new food once a month

In September I experienced a new vegetable - Kole Robe. I would say it has a similar taste to cauliflower. It was really good. I was a little weary because I had never even heard of it, but with my list in mind I went ahead and tried it. It is apparently hard to find around here, which is awfully sad since it is so good.

In October I actually have tried two new foods. First, fried oreos. Oh yeah, you read that right. Fried oreos. They were fucking amazing. Oreos dipped in funnel cake batter, fried, and sprinkled with powdered sugar. AMAZING. I wish I had some right now as I type this. We went to the Ashburn Villagefest (a local fair put on in our community) and they had them. I've heard of them and have been kind of weary, because I wasn't sure what they really were. When I hear fried I think fried foods. I never expected fried, in this context, to mean funnel cake batter. I don't know who came up with this idea but I'm pretty sure they're a genius.

The second thing I tried this month is Laddu (or Laddoo). This is an Indian sweet that is often prepared on festivals or household events (ie weddings) or given as prasad at Hindu Temples. It is made out of flour and a variety of other ingredients and formed into balls (thank you Wikipedia). A lady I work with is married to an Indian man and she brought these in one day. I was expecting an actual sweet because when you say something like "this is an Indian sweet" and use the word sweet to define the object you think it will be sweet. It was kind of sweet, but it is by no means an American sweet. It wasn't terrible, but like I said it wasn't sweet and since that is what I was expecting I was slightly disapointed. I'm not sure how to describe it because I don't think I've had anything like it before. Its one of those things you're going to have to try for yourself. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy these things again, but if they were given to me I'd eat them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment