Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Smothered Porkchops.

I made some. And they were delish. I've been trying to cook more (#35) since we moved so that we're eating more real meals and less whatever we've got to make something quick meals. It also helps that I'm getting home at 5 instead of 6 so that I have a little downtime before jumping in to dinner. There are days where we just make something quick, like a sandwich or spaghetti or something equally as easy, but a lot of times we're making something better. And I'M making things FROM SCRATCH. Oh yeah. Well, ok from scratch is kind of a relative term nowadays because everything is somewhat prepared, like our sides most of those are prepared, but the main dish from scratch-ish seeing as how I can't just go ahead and kill a pig and cut out some chops. But whatever. Back to my smothered porkchops.

So Steve saw this on TV or on the internet or something and wanted to try it. But his hand was injured so cooking for him was hard. But I gotta eat, so I offered to do all the work if he just showed me what to do. Without yelling. And he did. Without yelling. Or taking over. He said by the time we have kids he'll have me making meals so well that they'll never know I used to make box meals! Ha. Ha.

So basically, we made a dredge. Flour and seasonings of our liking. I can't remember what we put in there exactly, but it was good. Then, in a pan, some butter melted. Chops in for a quick second on each side. Like a minute on each side. Then we added an onion, a couple cloves of garlic, and some fresh tarragon. Let those cook some. Then add some beef broth and some chicken broth. Then some flour to thicken it up a bit. And then it cooked for like 20 minutes.

Doesn't it look yummy?



It SO was. I did an excellent job if I do say so myself. And I do. The chops were very tender and juicy that you didn't really even need a knife. I made some scalloped potatoes (from a box) and a veg as a side. One day, I'll be learning to make scalloped potatoes from scratch instead of a box, but that sounds like that would be a weekend meal not a weeknight meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment