Thursday, November 4, 2010

30 Days About Me: Day 4 – Your Favorite Book.

I love reading. Love, love, love. Everything from James Patterson to Nicholas Sparks. To J.K. Rollins to Stephanie Meyer. It’s incredibly hard for me to pick a favorite. I don’t think I’ll be singling out a favorite book in this post, but more telling you why I love to read.

Reading takes you into a whole new world. A good writer will take you into the story simply with his words. Paint a picture using only words. It is phenomenal. I wish I could do that. I really do. I love getting to know the characters that make up the whole story. Their likes, dislikes, their history, their whole story. It’s wonderful how some writers can make you feel like you know this person. And reading a book gives you the whole story. You know things that some of the other characters don’t know. And when they’re going to do something you know they shouldn’t for some reason (like, don’t go through that door!!) and you’re waiting with bated breath to see what happens to them even though you kind of know what’s coming.

The best part of a story is the ending. When it’s all wrapped up and everything is more or less resolved. I dislike when a story is continued in to another book. Really? I don’t like waiting for the next book to come out. Like with Harry Potter or Twilight. Or James Patterson’s stories. I mean don’t get me wrong I love those books. But for real? The waiting? It is impossible. It’s like I know the author has a secret that he or she is pretty much refusing to tell me until the next book. But the anticipation? I think, sometimes, that makes the next book that much better.

And sometimes when great books are turned in to movies you are nervous because you know these stories and these characters and you hope that the director/screen writer has done this book justice and literally makes the book come alive on the screen. That is the coolest. Because then you get to see what you saw while you were reading. And there are little details that maybe you didn’t pick up on, or put together with something else, and the whole book is alive right in front of your face instead of inside your head.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way about books! I LOVE them! You described the feeling really well! I hate when a book I love is made into a movie. Its just never as good as it was in my head...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes they'll get a movie right, but not very often!

    ReplyDelete