Thursday, August 23, 2012

I'm a Hero.

I live kind of out in the country. I pass a couple farms on my way to work each morning on this back road that I take to get to the main road. I like that road, it's cute and it's very country. It's also (in my opinion, though my husband would disagree) a faster way to get to the main highway/road. I leave for work about 6am if I was able to avoid snoozing too much and got out of the house on time. This particular morning I was able to get out of the house at about 6am which was really awesome considering I did hit the snooze a few too many times.

As I'm driving down this back road I nearly miss hitting a jogger on the side of the road (no sidewalks so he was running on the road) wearing black shorts and a black shirt. I was recovering from the little panic attack because I almost hit a person when I see a DOG! A cute little white dog just walking down the middle of the road. I immediately stop - in the middle of the road - and throw open the passenger side door (which is actually hard for me to get to right now as it turns out, but I did it). This little fella jumped right in my car appearing thankful that someone was saving him from his adventure. Once I got him in the car and got my door closed I pulled off to the side of the road so that I could investigate this little guy.

Almost immediately another car pulled up along side me, and I figured it was my neighbor since we take the same way to work and they left just a few moments behind me. But it was a cop. Apparently, when you stop in the middle of the road, throw open your door, close it real fast, and then pull off to the side you appear to be in some sort of trouble. So he stopped and asked if I was ok - which I was, but our conversation went a little like this...

Cop - Um, are you ok?

Me - Oh yeah I'm fine. I found a dog!

Cop - In your car?!

Here's what I wanted to say... yeah dumbass, I'm just driving along and then BAM suddenly there's a strange dog in my car I didn't know was there. Lucky for him he was found in the safety of a strangers car.

Here's what I actually said - NO. I found him on the road. He was just wandering around and I couldn't just leave him there.

Cop - Well, what are you planning on doing with him?

Me - I have no idea I JUST found him (which I know he knows because he was right behind me) so I haven't had a chance to look for his tag (plus it's hard to bend down and he's hanging out on my passenger side floor so he's not making this easy on his rescuer)

Cop - well, you can always take him to the pound. (at which point he proceeded to give me directions to the pound cause I didn't know where it was.... not that I would have actually taken him there because I just don't think I could because this dog was obviously well taken care of and definitely someones pet)

At this point, a car had pulled up and stopped behind us so he was hesitant to leave me alone, at dawn, with a stranger in a car behind me and a random dog. I checked out the car, saw it was my neighbors and told him so which made him comfortable enough to leave since there was nothing else he could do. I thanked him for stopping and he headed on his way.

My neighbors pulled up next and asked what was going on. So I recapped my story for them and she pulled over and came over to help investigate this dog so I didn't actually have to get out of the car and was clearly having a hard time bending over the center console to get to the poor scared guy on my floor. He had a tag and his home was right up the road so she left and I took him home. When I pulled up to the house there was another dog roaming around on the property so I figure this little guy just decided he needed a morning adventure. I dropped him off and he seemed pretty excited to be back home!

I'm glad I was able to get out of the house on time this morning so that I could save this little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment